TGIF: Better Than Bad Edition

When Pokémon Go came out last month, I found myself devouring articles about the phenomenon despite not having downloaded it myself.

Aside from ridiculous user experiences, I was most interested in 1.) its positive real world applications (ie: players going to animal shelters to walk rescue pups, encouraging voter registration, raising money for charities, making kids in hospitals happier, etc) and 2.) how this one game seemed to turn our entire society into a legion of technological early adopters overnight.

I wasn’t hating on it, I was merely curious and baffled. It didn’t make sense..

..until I read an article in the Guardian that described the game as a balm against the evils of the world; a positive form of escapism that carried players far from the scary global, national, and regional headlines.

Got it. Their Pokemon Go, is my Baby Elephant LOVES his First Pool Experience youtube, which I have watched no less than 236,230 times in the past month.

And as we careen into the weekend, I wanted to contribute to the wave of positivity with my own feel-good findings; opportunities, grants, exhibits, and interviews that will hopefully make your day a tiny bit better.

Continue reading

CATEGORIES: Around Town | Leave a comment

The August Wrap-Up

partial visibility x public trust x let them eat cake

Continue reading

CATEGORIES: Weekly Wrap-Up | Leave a comment

Revisiting 1994: A Governor’s Lapse in Judgment

Part 2 of my soliloquy will have to wait, there are more pressing issues.

Namely, the arts in Massachusetts are on the chopping block. Again.

“On Friday (July 8th), Governor Charlie Baker issued a budget veto that would slash funding for the arts, humanities, and sciences through the Massachusetts Cultural Council (MCC) by more than half. The cut would exceed the value of MCC’s two largest grant programs, reducing state cultural funding to levels not seen since 1994.”

Continue reading

CATEGORIES: From the Desk of FLUX | 1 Comment

Leaving June in June: Unpacking #bosarts News pt.1

Last month I had the pleasure of attending Art Basel in Switzerland, a jam-packed visit onto which I appended a multi-city excursion and an Icelandic stopover.

As you do.

And while I had an incredible time experiencing the grandfather of all art fairs firsthand and embarking on a spirit quest through the Alps, that’s a story for another day.

For now, I wanted to unpack some thoughts I had when I made the mistake of catching up on #bosarts news from afar.

It’s not that all the news was ‘bad’ per se, actually some of it was ‘good’, but it just felt like something was in the water last month. Or maybe something was in my water and I’m slowly dying of dysentery.

Either way, let’s leave June in June.. talking about it in July.

Continue reading

CATEGORIES: From the Desk of FLUX | Leave a comment

The July Wrap-Up

 outside x body language x flowers of evil x sun & salt

Continue reading

CATEGORIES: Weekly Wrap-Up | 4 Comments

The June Wrap-Up

first light x grounded x nonchalant poetry x close to me 

Continue reading

CATEGORIES: Weekly Wrap-Up | Leave a comment

Lunchtime: This N’ That

Is it just me, or has this been a particularly busy month?

My inbox has become a graveyard of memos I send to myself and my desk is somewhere under these post-its.

It’s time to de-clutter.

I’m about to share a pile of BostonCreates info, art opportunities, job postings, local news, & videos I just happen to like with you.

Ready? Let’s go.

Continue reading

CATEGORIES: Lunchtime | Leave a comment

The May Wrap-Up

protecting the wounds x the more you struggle, the faster you sink x all of everything

Continue reading

CATEGORIES: Weekly Wrap-Up | Leave a comment

Lunchtime: The Age Issue

When I speak with artists about their craft, whether formally in a portfolio review or informally over coffee, 2% of the conversation is in the realm of “what do you think of this color combination?” and the other 98% is related to the psychological factors surrounding the creative process, the creation/production of the art itself, and the day-to-day complexities of living as a working artist.

And it doesn’t matter your age.

Continue reading

CATEGORIES: From the Desk of FLUX, Lunchtime | Leave a comment

Artists & Criminals

“The only important elements in any society are the artistic and the criminal, because they alone, by questioning the society’s values, can force it to change.”

Samuel R. Delany 

CATEGORIES: Inspiration | Leave a comment